The questions in Part 1 are on three familiar topic areas and should last 4-5 minutes. If you give a brief answer the examiner will ask you to explain why or why not as appropriate. The first topic must be chosen from either “Home” or “Work and Study”, the other two from a (long) list of potential questions, covering such areas as friends, leisure, food, your country, entertainment, clothes, happiness and health.
Part 1 questions are supposed to be easy, and the examiner must finish all of the questions in 5 minutes or less. That leaves about 30 seconds per question. You should therefore give short, simple answers with a full sentence, a reason, and perhaps add one extra piece of information. Be confident and smile when you finish each question, and wait for the next one. Here are some examples:
• What will you do when you finish your studies?
• In what ways are your friends important to you?
• Has your country changed much since you were a child?
• What usually makes you happy?
• How important are clothes and fashion to you?